Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Gottschalk - Souvenir de Porto Rico

Gottschalk had this to say about the setting where he composed Souvenir de Porto Rico: "[I was] perched upon the edge of a crater, [and] my cabin overlooked the whole country. Every evening I moved my piano out upon the terrace, and played for myself alone, everything that the scene opened up before me inspired. It was there that I composed 'Marche des Gibaros.'"

I almost forgot about this piece! I'm glad I've resurrected it. I love how it is delicately ornamented with latin rhythyms but manages to maintain a piano rooted sound to it as well as brinks on the early 1900's Ragtime chord progressions. It's one of those pieces I feel has a lot of interesting crossover of several periods and influences. I wish more programs incorporated this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment